Participate Australia together with SydWest have created these videos to support people with disabilities and their families prepare for the upcoming referendum.
These videos are about the upcoming referendum on the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice to Parliament.
Sometimes, this is called The Voice.
There is a referendum in Australia on October 14 2023.
These videos provide easy to understand information about this referendum.
At the end of each video, we have some suggestions for questions.
These questions can help you think about the referendum.
You can answer these questions by yourself, with a friend, a family member or someone else that you trust.
Video 1: What is the referendum?
- The Constitution is like group rules. Why are group rules important?
- Why do we sometimes need to change the group rules?
- Why might we need to change the constitution?
Video 2: What are we being asked in this referendum?
- What are the suggested changes to the Constitution?
- Am I able to vote in the referendum?
- Who can I speak to if I need help with voting?
Video 3: Why are we being asked about The Voice?
- What are some things that the Voice would do?
- Who would be on the Voice?
- Are there other examples where people with lived experience have provided advice?
To find out more information about the upcoming referendum, visit https://voice.gov.au/
To find information in other languages, visit https://voice.gov.au/community-toolkit/translated-resources
To find out more information on how to vote, visit: https://www.aec.gov.au/referendums/vote/accessibility.html
For an Easy Read guide of the Uluru Statement from the Heart, visit: https://cid.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Uluru-Statement-from-the-Heart-Easy-Read-Guide.pdf